Gardner, Gillibrand Applaud President Signing Permanent Reauthorization of 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund into Law
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senators Cory Gardner (R-CO) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) today applauded the signing into law of bipartisan legislation they introduced known as the Never Forget the Heroes: James Zadroga, Ray Pfeifer, and Luis Alvarez Permanent Authorization of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Act.
“On September 11th, 2001, first responders didn’t hesitate for a second when our nation needed them the most. Today we followed through on our promise to never forget the service and sacrifice of these heroes,” said Senator Gardner. “Permanent reauthorization of the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund is not just a New York, Washington, or Pennsylvania issue. It is an American issue. The heroes of 9/11 live in every state across the country, including in Colorado. While this bill will not stop 9/11 first responders from becoming ill, it gives them the support they’ve earned and desperately need. I applaud the president for signing this bill into law today.”
“We have already lost too many 9/11 heroes, and sadly, many more will become sick and die in the years to come. But now, because this bill is finally the law of the land, our 9/11 first responders, survivors, and their families can finally have some peace of mind as they continue to fight through their illnesses linked to the 9/11 attacks. We will never forget the sacrifice they made for us, and I am grateful to every single person who helped pass this bill and to President Trump for signing it quickly into law,” said Senator Gillibrand.
Background: Senator Gardner’s actions to permanently reauthorize and fully fund the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund:
- October 12, 2018: Gardner, Gillibrand Introduce Bipartisan Bill to Permanently Reauthorize and Fund Victim Compensation Fund for 9/11 Heroes and Their Families
- February 25, 2019: 9/11 Responders and Survivors, Jon Stewart Join Members of Congress to Unveil the Bipartisan Never Forget the Heroes: Permanent Reauthorization of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Act
- June 11, 2019: Gardner Takes to Senate Floor to Press for Swift Passage of 9/11 Compensation Bill
- July 8, 2019: Gardner, Sponsors of Bill to Fully Fund & Make Permanent 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund Announce Name Change to Honor Heroes
- July 12, 2019: Gardner, Gillibrand Commend House Passage of Bipartisan 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund Bill
- July 17, 2019: Gardner and Gillibrand Call for Vote on 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund
- July 23, 2019: Gardner, Gillibrand Announce Senate Passage of Bipartisan ‘Never Forget The Heroes: James Zadroga, Ray Pfeifer, and Luis Alvarez Permanent Authorization of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Act’
Cory Gardner is a member of the U.S. Senate serving Colorado. He sits on the Energy & Natural Resources Committee, the Foreign Relations Committee, the Commerce, Science, & Transportation Committee, and is the Chairman of the Subcommittee on East Asia, the Pacific, and International Cybersecurity Policy.
Next Article Previous Article